Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What's next?

So lately I've been thinking about my next step. Maybe it's Fall? That whole "back to school" feeling?

Before being home full time with my babes I was an elementary school teacher (5th grade and 1st grade). I absolutely loved it but since my break have been wondering if going back to teaching is really for me. My license will expire next summer and so I'm currently in the process of gathering all of my continuing education credits or units to make sure I have enough to renew it. I've heard it's terrible to let it lapse. I've also heard that it's even harder to find a teacher job now than it was when I was applying. I'm still currently substitute teaching, when I can find childcare and when I'm needed, which I'm sure will help keep me "in the know" but doesn't really mean it will make it easier to get a job.

However, since my hospital birth with Greta

and my home-birth with Audrey,

I've become increasingly more passionate about labor and delivery. Like, to the point that I think about it, a lot. When around friends that are pregnant or have recently delivered I get goosebumps when hearing their stories. I literally get chills when I describe my experiences. I could talk about pregnancy, labor, delivery, breastfeeding, and babies all day every day and not get bored.

Which leads me to believe that my next step needs to be in that direction.
Lactation consultant?
Birth Doula?
Labor and Delivery Nurse?
Midwife?


Knowing that my man supports me is what means the most to me. He's the one that will have to take the brunt of care for the girls in the evenings if I start classes. He's the one that will have to help me coordinate where they go if I get called to a birth. He's the one that will have to deal with me every time I come home radiating from experiencing new life and want to have another bundle ourselves.

So where do I start?

3 comments:

  1. i LOVE this!!! Where you go with it, we shall see... and I am super pumped for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a God-given passion for this! I will be praying with you and am excited to see where He calls you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exciting Emily! I think it's a perfect time in your life to just go for it! I have had this discovery recently as well. I am so lucky to have the job I do...but it is just that - a job. I want a career and one in Graphic Design. I am back in school this fall (online) for Graphic Design so I can pursue my career. I'm cheering for you. Do what feels right! Don't just talk about it (which I always did) - just take the plunge if you have the passion go for it!

    ReplyDelete